1. What personal data do we collect?
The personal data we collect from you may include the following: your name; title; nationality; mailing address; e-mail address(es); affiliation; position; previous affiliations, academic background and degrees, scientific research, publications and contributions to Space Architecture.org and SATC activities, participation in SpaceArchitect.org and SATC events or related events such as those by IAF, AIAA and ICES, and Curriculum Vitae.
We collect payment information provided by PayPal when you sign up to become a member of Spacearchitect.org.
We also collect information you give us when you engage with our social media platform (for example by reacting to a post on Facebook). If you are browsing our website or responding to our online surveys, we may collect your IP address or other device identifier, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and other portable device information.
2. When do we collect your personal data?
• When you sign up to become a member of spacearchitect.org or SATC.
• When you engage with us on our online surveys.
• When you engage with us on social media (by mentioning/tagging us or by contacting us directly)
3. How do we use your personal data and what are our legal justifications for doing so?
We use the information collected for a number of purposes, including:
• to verify your membership;
• to manage payments;
• to conduct research and surveys
• to setup and manage our spacearchitect.org mailing lists and members directory;
• to enhance your online experience, ensuring that our website is presented in the most effective and relevant manner for you and your device and setting default options for you;
• to administer and keep safe and secure our website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
• to obey laws and regulations that apply to us.
It is in our legitimate interests to use your data to facilitate your use of our websites and services, register your consent; and / or to fulfil a legal duty.
4. Who do we share your personal data with?
We will never sell any of your personal data to a third party. However, in order for us to provide our services to you, we may share your personal data with our trusted third party service providers as detailed below:
To help us to pursue our legitimate interests, we share your personal information with third parties who provide services to SpaceArchitect.org or who act on Spacearchitect.org behalf, for instance IT and other suppliers, research agencies, payment processors, financial institutions, shipping companies or postal authorities that are involved in fulfilling your request. We do not authorise these companies to use or disclose your personal information except for the purpose of providing the service we request of them.
While SpaceArchitect.org is an independent organisation, it has a very close working relationship with Space Architecture Technical Committee (SATC), which is one of many technical committees under the organisation of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA). Many members of the SpaceArchitect.org management team are either current or former members of SATC, and would have access to your personal data provided by you to either SpaceArchitect.org or SATC.
Social media companies, search engines
Personal information may be used to better understand our target audience on social media sites, search engines platforms (such as Google, Facebook, YouTube and Amazon) and to promote our services on those platforms to prospective new members of a similar profile.
Other third parties
These third parties may be companies with which we have a relationship in relation to products and services provided to you, companies through which you have contacted SpaceArchitect.org or companies you ask us to contact on your behalf.
Other circumstances in which we will disclose your information
We will disclose your information to local and foreign regulators, governments, law enforcement authorities, advisors, courts, tribunals and arbitrators when we have a legal obligation to do so or when we believe our compliance with the request to be fair, reasonable and lawful, e.g. to detect, prevent or investigate security breaches, fraud or other crimes.
We will also disclose your information to establish, exercise or defend legal claims, for example: (i) to enforce our Terms and Conditions; (ii) to ensure the safety and security of our users, consumers and third parties; and (iii) to protect our rights and property and the rights and property of our website visitors, consumers and third parties.
Location of third parties
5. Your rights
You have a number of rights relating to your personal information and what happens to it. You are entitled to:
• have your data processed in a fair, lawful and transparent way;
• access personal data we hold about you;
• require us to correct any mistakes in your personal data;
• require us to delete personal data concerning you in certain situations where there is no good reason for us to continue to process it;
• request that we transfer your personal data to you or another service provider in a simple, structured format;
• object at any time to processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes;
• object to automated decision making which produces legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affects you;
• object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal data; and
• otherwise restrict or temporarily stop our processing of your personal data in certain circumstances.
You can read more about your rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, in the Guidance from the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public. You also have the right to complain about our use of personal data to the ICO. You can do these by contacting the ICO via their website https://ico.org.uk/concerns or by calling 0303 123 1113.
If you would like to speak to us in relation to any of your rights, please contact us.
6. Changing your preferences
If you no longer wish to receive correspondence from our organisation or to be contacted by us about our services or other related activities, you can amend your preferences or unsubscribe by contacting us. Alternatively, you can unsubscribe by logging into your mailing listing account directly, or simply follow the unsubscribe link provided in emails you receive from us.
We want to ensure that all the information we have about our customers is factually correct and up to date. If you find that the personal data we have about you is inaccurate or needs updating (for instance, you may have changed your contact information or entries on your member’s profile on SpaceArchitect.org) then please contact us so that we can correct it.
7. Security of your personal data
We take the security of your personal data very seriously. We have implemented various strategies, controls, policies and measures to keep your data secure and keep these measures under close review.
8. Retention of your personal data