Silvio De Mio
Licensed Architect, Space Architect
After obtaining a Bachelor Degree in Architectural Design at the Politecnico of Milan in 2017, he graduated cum laude at the same school in the Master of Architecture, Built Environment and Interiors in 2020.
Presently he works as a Junior Architect at the international architectural firm OMA, where he has been involved with the different facets of architectural design.
Parallely to his work as an architectural professional he approached the field of Space Architecture in which he accomplished different experiences such as a Space Architecture & Design course offered by the School of Disruption.
Additionally he took part in an intensive workshop promoted by DigitalFUTURES in which he idealised a human outpost in Moon lava tubes, performing a multi-objective optimization form-finding analysis and designing a network of deployable modules within an inflatable pressurized dome. This experience motivated him to further research and develop this project and to explore the possibilities of a human-centered, sustainable and safe settlement of our natural satellite.
He has also been selected as a delegate by the Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC) for the 7th European Space Workshop (E-SGW) to discuss the future of Europe on the Moon.
- Junior Architect, OMA (2022-present)
- Architectural Intern, OMA (2021-22)
- Junior Architect, Scandurra Studio Architettura (2020-21)
- Architectural Intern, Andrea Caputo (2018)
- Master of Science in Architecture, Built Environment and Interiors, Politecnico of Milan (2017-2020)
- International Mobility, Oklahoma State University (Fall semester 2019)
- Undergraduate Student Researcher, DASTU – Politecnico of Milano (2016)
- Bachelor of Science in Architectural Design, Politecnico of Milan (2014-17)
LICENSES AND COURSES
- Space Architecture & Design course, School of Disruption, with Barbara Imhof and René Waclavicek (2022)
- Explore Moon Architecture workshop, DigitalFUTURES, with Valentina Sumini (2021)
- Professional Qualification and Registration with the Italian Order of Architects (2021)
- Ic Advanced Architectural Design Studio, Politecnico of Milan, with Kazuyo Sejima (2019)
- Festival Architecture Radical workshop, Bauhaus Dessau Foundation, with Sam Chermayeff (2019)
- Revit + Dynamo Parametric Design Bim Oriented course, Politecnico of Milan (2018)
- Metabolism of a City – Post Industrial Waterfronts workshop, New York Institute of Technology (2017)